15.8.04

Espírito Olímpico

Iran Snub to Israel Challenges IOC

Iran defied the Olympic spirit on Sunday by refusing to contest a judo bout with an Israeli at the Athens Games, making no effort to hide the fact it was putting solidarity with the Palestinians before gold medals.

(...)

Double world champion Arash Miresmaeili was drawn to fight Ehud Vaks in the first round of the under-66kg class on Sunday but was quoted by Iran's official news agency IRNA as saying he refused to face the Israeli in solidarity with the Palestinians.

"Although I have trained for months and am in shape I refused to face my Israeli rival in sympathy with the oppressed Palestinian people," he told IRNA.

"I am not upset about the decision I have made."

A spokeswoman for Iran's Olympic committee in Tehran said he was told to pull out in line with national policy toward Israel.

Vaks said he felt for Mirasmaeili and thought the Iranian was forced not to compete: "I know how a sportsman feels. They broke his heart," Vaks said after losing in a later round.